Tuesday, April 1, 2008

You Talk Better Than You Fool!

Not today I don't!

Today is April 1st or April Fools Day. And in celebration of this foolish day I made a fool out of food! (Wow say that 5 times fast)

I made Meatloaf "Cupcakes" with Mashed Potatoe "Frosting".




For dessert we had "Meatloaf" Brownies and "Mashed Potatoe" Ice Cream and Hershey's Syrup "Gravy".

I used this brownie recipe from Allrecipes.com. It came highly recommended by a group of my friends on a cooking forum.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, melted
3 cups white sugar (I used 1 1/2 white and 1 1/2 brown)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I didn't have chips so I went and bought a plain chocolate candy bar and cut that into chunks)
I also added 1 cup of pecans....which I think are the best part!


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until blended. Stir in the chocolate morsels. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove, and cool pan on wire rack before cutting.

Now I cooked mine in a loaf pan thinking I'd be clever and make it in the shape of meatloaf...however I wouldn't recommend this as the outside brownies got a little too done and the middle of the brownies weren't cooked at all. But hey the brownies inbetween those were sure yummy!

Last year I made chocolate rice crispy treats shaped into a loaf. I thought that looked perfect! You can even add bits of fruit roll-up or something to make it look like peppers.

John and I enjoyed it.

Happy Foolin'

5 comments:

Shelby said...

Very creative Alyson! I love that brownie recipe! I even blogged about that one myself! :)

LadyJayPee said...

Alyson, welcome to bloghood. With your sense of humor and play, I think I'm going to love this place! :)

Carrie said...

what a great idea for dinner - too cute!

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I am sooo stealing your "cupcake" idea next April Fool's day! How cute!

Kaitlin said...

lol these are too cute!